Table of Contents
- Accessing the Gradebook
- Introduction to My Markbook2
- Understanding the Markbook2 Interface
- Creating a New Grade Sheet
- Adding, Editing, and Deleting Columns
- Navigating through Grade Sheets
1. Accessing the Gradebook
To access the Grade book, follow these steps:
Log in to MySchoolJamaica.com as a teacher.
Once logged in, select "My Markbook2" from the sidebar menu.
Now, you have access to My Markbook2, where you can manage your grade sheets.
2. Introduction to My Markbook2
My Markbook2 is the name of the grade book used by the MySchoolJamaica.com platform. It provides an electronic version of the traditional grade book, adding rows for each student and columns for each assessment recorded. This user-oriented tool allows us to record the results of different assessments throughout the school year, organized by academic periods such as year and term.
You might ask, was there a Markbook1? Yes, there was! Will there be a Markbook3? That depends on you. If Markbook2 does not provide you with the flexibility you need as a teacher, share your requirements with us, and we will be delighted to explore them with you.
3. Understanding the Markbook2 Interface
The Markbook2 interface includes three main function buttons: Insert, List, and Reload.
- Insert: This button allows for the addition of a grade sheet in the grade book.
- List: This button shows a list of all grade sheets in the grade book.
- Reload: This button refreshes or reloads grade sheets in the grade book if you have closed a grade sheet.
Each grade sheet itself has several function buttons, including Insert Column, Column Settings, Save, Auto Save, Reload, Import, Delete, Edit, and Update.
4. Creating a New Grade Sheet
To insert a new grade sheet into the grade book:
Click the Insert button (or the button with the "+" sign) on the grade book tab. This opens the Insert Marksheet window.
Fill in the details for the year, term, subject, type of grade sheet, and class.
Choose whether to automatically insert columns for strands or components.
Choose the type of grade sheet: Homeroom or Mixclass. A Homeroom-based grade sheet pulls all the students assigned to that room into your grade sheet, while a Mixclass grade sheet allows you to define the students that make up the subject class.
If classrooms were set up or if students didn't register in the class on the platform, you still have the option of pulling them in. Please refer to the article on setting up mixed classes for more details.
Once you have inputted the required information, click the Insert button. This action adds a grade sheet in the grade book with the specified information.
5. Adding, Editing, and Deleting Columns
Once the grade sheet or mark sheet is added, you can start adding columns. Each column represents a different assessment given by a teacher.
Adding a Column
Click the Insert Column button. The Insert Column window appears.
Fill in the details for the date (the date the assessment was given), title (the description of the assessment), component/strand, category, and score type.
If you select the raw score type, set the points allowed for the assessment or test. If you select percentage, it defaults to 100 points.
Once done, click the Insert button. This action adds a new column to your grade sheet and you can now enter the scores for each student.
Editing a Column
Click the Column Settings button. The Column Settings window opens, displaying a list of all the columns in the grade sheet.
Select the column you want to edit from the list. The details of the selected column will appear on the right side of the window.
In the detail section, modify the information as needed and click Save.
Deleting a Column
In the Column Settings window, select the column you wish to delete from the list.
Click the Delete button to remove the column.
6. Saving Your Work
To ensure that you don't lose your work, make use of the Save and Auto Save functions:
Save: Click this button to save your work manually.
Auto Save: This is a toggle button. Once turned on, all entries are saved automatically. It's recommended to keep this function on for convenience.
7. Other Grade Sheet Functions
Other functions on the grade sheet include:
- Reload: Refreshes the grade sheet in case a student joined the class after you initially created the grade sheet.
- Import: Imports assessments from the classroom module.
- Delete: Deletes the mark sheet. It will not delete if grades are in the grade book or if columns exist—delete those first. This is to prevent accidental loss of your work.
- Edit: Edits the term, year, or subject.
- Update: Allows you to publish or submit grades. Once submitted, you cannot make further changes, but you can undo the update as long as the period is still open.
8. Navigating through Grade Sheets
My Markbook2 organizes its content by subject and then classes. Each grade sheet is represented by a tab in the grade book. The tab at the top shows the subject name, and the tab at the bottom shows the class name. When a subject tab is selected, all the grade sheets for the classes you teach are shown on the bottom tab. To select a grade sheet, simply click the tab strip for the associated class.
By following these steps, you'll be able to use Markbook2 to record and manage student grades efficiently. If you have any suggestions or face any issues, please do not hesitate to share them with us. Your feedback is highly valued.